TikTok is all the craze among teenagers, Gen Z, and Millenials alike. If you have not yet hopped on the TikTok trend, odds are that you still notice the app’s popularity. The app first gained popularity among teenagers. They would share videos of themselves lipsyncing or dancing to song clips. Although this is still common across the app, Gen Z and Millenials are messing with the app’ status quo. Rather than just lip-syncing and dancing, the app has videos of people giving “life hacks” and advice. Overall, the app remains a fun-focused platform that encourages collaboration to the beat of the music. The question to ask yourself is this: Are You Young Enough for TikTok?
Are You Young Enough For TikTok?
Do you know the Renegade dance? If you hear a song on the radio and think to yourself, “This is a TikTok song,” then yes, you are young enough for TikTok. But the fact of the matter is that you are never too old for TikTok. The app is actually on a trend to target Gen Z and Millenials, which is older than their current audience. There are people of all ages on TikTok, embracing the fun atmosphere the platform provides. Regardless of your age, you are young enough for TikTok if you embody a young, fun, creative spirit. So get to brainstorming, choose your favorite dance or audio, and get to TikTok-ing!
How to Make Your Very Own TikTok Video
Step 1: Download the app and create an account
Step 2: Click the + sign at the bottom of the page. From here, you have two options. Upload a video you already filmed or film one directly in the app.
- Option 1: If you are uploading a video you already filmed, select “upload” and choose the video(s) from your camera roll. First, you will choose the music you want the videos to play with. You can pick from the suggested list or browse the app for more sound options. Hit next and add text or stickers. This step is exactly like adding text or stickers to Instagram stories. You can add filters to your video in the right, upper-hand corner. You can add effects to your video or parts of your video. The best way to understand how each effect works is to play around with different options.
- Options 2: Decide if you want your video to record for 15 seconds or 60 seconds. If you choose the 60-second option, you can trim the video to be shorter after the fact. Hit record and start doing your dance, sharing advice, etc. You have the ability to add beauty effects, filters, and change the speed during this stage. Once you are finished filming, hit the checkmark and edit your video the same way as Option 1 advises you to do so.
Step 3: Hit “next” and add a caption to your video. TikTok loves hashtags. If you click the hashtag button, it will recommend hashtags to use that are currently trending. In your caption, you can also tag friends who were in your video.
Step 4: Decide if you want your video to be visible to the public, or just visible to you and/or the users who are mutually following you. Decide if you want comments to be made on your video and if you want people to be able to create duets with your video.
Step 5: Hit “post” and watch your video’s likes, comments, and views add up over time!
Things To Remember
- Keep TikTok fun and lighthearted
- Utilize trending hashtags
- Utilize trending songs
- Interact with other people’s videos by liking them and commenting
- Get creative. Think about what would be received well and what hasn’t been done before
- Have fun!