Family Weekend… Cue the Chaos
Your family is probably on a flight as you read this and are coming into town to see how well their baby is doing at college. Meanwhile, you are frantically cleaning your room, doing laundry, hiding clutter under your bed, and trying to schedule a haircut for this afternoon. Let us help you look like you have this whole “living on your own” thing down. We have a list of places to take your parents throughout Dallas to help you show them you are doing alright.
Friday with the Family
Your parents are arriving to Family Weekend just in time for dinner and evening festivities. Show them somewhere upbeat that helps them get a taste of Dallas. Here are a few ideas for your Friday night festivities:
- Walk around Highland Park Village and catch up over dinner at Mi Cocina, Bistro 31, Perfect Union Pizza Co., or the Honor Bar.
- Enjoy some good ole southern music at The Rustic while you eat dinner on their outdoor picnic tables. After dinner, walk two blocks to Upside West Village, an amazing rooftop bar with a view of downtown. This bar is classy and fun and will show your parents you are in one of the coolest cities in the US.
- If they want to relive their glory days, take them to Deep Ellum for dinner with a view at Stirr. Then bar hop from Dot’s Hop House, a cool outdoor bar, to Louie Louie’s Piano Bar.
- Subtly show them the area you hope to live a few years down the road by grabbing Thai food in Uptown and Malai Kitchen. Grab some gelato at Pecuigo as you walk around and window shop. Word to the wise, if they want to buy you something, just say yes. That blazer or pair of shoes will come in handy down the road.
Saturday with the Mustangs
Saturday is for brunching and boulevarding. Show your family what Dallas does best: brunch!
- Sixty Vines has a mimosa bar, allergy-friendly menu items, and the cutest photo opportunities.
- Chelsea’s Corner takes brunch classics up a notch with chicken and waffles, breakfast pizza, and shrimp and grits.
- Henry’s Majestic has a great outdoor atmosphere with delicious brunch items and a mimosa bar.
- Yolk is an upscale diner. Their menu is huge! You can indulge in anything from peanut butter and chocolate pancakes to home-style egg scrambles served in skillets.
Then take them to the Boulevard to meet Peruna, take pictures around campus, and possibly see your dorm room. Our mustangs are ranked for the first time in a long time. Make sure to go to the stadium and cheer on our football team to another victory! No better tradition on Family Weekend.
Sunday with the Family
Your family is probably flying back home today. However, there is likely still time for a morning of breakfast and some exploring.
- Biscuit Bar is right next to campus and serves anything related to biscuits. They also serve tater tots with a variety of toppings.
- Original Chop Shop has breakfast sandwiches, smoothies, and acaí bowls. Plus, it is walking distance from campus.
- Origin Kitchen + Bar is a great allergy-friendly spot. They have everything from breakfast pizza to acaí bows to chicken and waffles.
Depending on how much time you have left before their flight, you can spend the rest of the day exploring one of the following:
- Explore art museums downtown
- Embrace the great outdoors and walk around White Rock Lake
- Ride bikes down Katy Trail
- Shop at Northpark Mall
- Go ice skating at the Galleria Mall
- See a movie at the Angelika theatre (show your student ID for a discount)
Enjoy this weekend with your parents, family, and friends. Focus on the time spent with loved ones and use this weekend to show your loved ones how thankful you are for the opportunity to attend SMU.