DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Southwest Airlines’ Communication/Public Relations Internships span across several different teams within the Communication and Outreach Department and also include communication teams within other Departments such as the Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Department. While Interns in C&O will be asked to support multiple teams at times, and assist in a variety of projects, if selected, you will work full time as a Team Member within one of the teams.
- Progress towards degree, major, or minor in a Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Emerging Media Marketing, Business, or related field required.
- Minimum Junior status.
- To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as a full time student (minimum 12 credit hours).
- Maintained 3.0 or above cumulative GPA.
- Communications related work experience preferred (part-time jobs, internships, etc).
- Writing experience preferred (school newsletter, business, or creative).
- Experience writing Press Releases.
- Experience with Editing Communications preferred.
- Experience using the AdobeSuite a plus.
- Experience with PhotoShop is a plus.
- Leadership experience is a plus.
- Participation in trade/industry organizations, community involvement, and/or school clubs preferred.
- Event planning experience preferred.
- Experience with Media Management tools such as Cision is preferred for External Communication Team
- Experience with Social Media Measurement Tools is preferred.
- Knowledge and skills in using social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube) preferred for External Communication Team
- Experience using Documentum (or other content management system) is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Must possess a strong proficiency of the English language, including superior grammar, spelling, and organizational skills.
- Ability to write in the Brand Voice.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Applications, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Understanding of the airline/travel industry is a plus.
- Possess a strong understanding of how Customers and Employees use communication channels to communicate with the Southwest brand.
- Ability to work independently and the willingness to function as part of a Team.
- Ability to handle multiple projects under tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Must have ability to comprehend, proofread, and edit a variety of documents with a keen eye for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must handle confidential and sensitive information with the utmost professionalism.
- Must be able to present self well to meet public and have the ability to present in large or small settings. Public speaking skills and/or experience a plus.
Please be prepared to provide the following information (if requested):
- Unofficial transcript.
- “Why Southwest Airlines” essay (Length determined by author).
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Full-time – 40 hours/week.
- $15 hourly + flight privileges.
This position is located in Dallas, Texas at the Southwest Airlines Headquarters building.
All students must apply online at careers.southwestair.com
Please print/save the job description because it won’t be available after you apply
Applications close this Friday, September 13, 2019.