Skip to content
Jobs: Plano ISD Seeking Assistant Director, Communications Public Relations & Social Media
- Describe Job
Responsible for promoting and encouraging dialogue and connection between Plano ISD and internal and external stakeholders. Manage, write, edit content, oversee and execute strategic social media and public relations initiatives. Responsible for monitoring and analyzing social media content and will share responsibility in maintaining the district’s website. Support executive director in facilitating communications with key media.
Education/Certification: Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism, English or related field. Equivalent experience may be considered.
Experience: At least five years’ experience in a communications or public relations field. School district experience preferred. At least three years’ experience managing social media engagement, including experience with social media monitoring, analysis and reporting tools.
Special Knowledge/ Skills:
- Broad base of experience in public relations core competencies including dynamic and accurate written communication, media relations, crisis communication and polished presentation skills.
- Experience writing captivating content, news articles, press releases, website content, key messaging and speeches.
- Knowledge of school district public relations.
- Strong understanding of social media concepts, platforms and analytics.
- Strong photography and photo editing skills, including proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Equipment Used: Includes (but is not limited to): Computer (Mac), mobile devices, Apple IOS, laser printers, copiers, telephone, scanner, laminator and poster maker.
- Assist with maintaining positive press coverage and good working relationships with key media, including writing press releases, facilitating media requests and organizing press events.
- Assist the executive director for communications with emergency communications support as needed.
- Analyze media coverage, including sentiment and share of voice in the local public education sector.
- Maintain an editorial calendar and repurpose content from the Plano ISD website for social media platforms, using social media to drive users to the district’s content-rich website.
- Create and manage content for Plano ISD’s social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.). Content includes writing, photography and graphics.
- Monitor social media and community engagement platforms while promoting positive online experiences for all district stakeholders.
- Assist campuses and departments with social media content support, monitoring and management, including establishing and maintaining districtwide guidelines.
- Contribute to managing and updating website content.
- Study and implement emerging and best practices related to existing and new social media platforms.
- Provide technical and analytical assistance for surveys initiated or supported by the communications department.
- Follow all Plano ISD rules, regulations and policies.
- Follow attendance policy as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the administration and/or supervisor.
- Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under tight time constraints and changes in video and event needs.
- Physical Demands? Environmental Factors: Frequent district-wide travel; occasional prolonged and irregular hours; Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions; occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Organization Name
Plano Independent School District
Lesley Range-Stanton, Executive Director of Communications
- Email Address