Welcome to CCPA! We are so glad you’re here. This blog is your #1 resource in learning the ropes of your new major. The new student checklist below will provide you with the tools you need to get through your first semester in CCPA.
If you’re reading this blog post, you’re already doing step one of our CCPA New Student Checklist! When students join their major, many of them wish they had someone to show them the ropes. What classes to take, what clubs to join, the teachers to meet early on, the resources to utilize… Look no further. We are here to show you the ropes of CCPA.
CCPA New Student Checklist
- Subscribe to the CCPA Blog
- This blog shares posts about upcoming events, open classes, PRSSA events, and students’ advice. If something is going on in CCPA, you will be in the know by reading these posts.
- Attend PRSSA new member interest meeting
- PRSSA, Public Relations Student Society of America, is a national organization with a local chapter at SMU. SMU PRSSA welcomes you with open arms and provides you with guidance on growing your network and professional skills.
- Make a LinkedIn Profile
- This may seem odd for a new student checklist. You just got into the major, what do you even put on LinkedIn? However, you will have to create a LinkedIn account for multiple classes throughout your time in CCPA. This assignment is easier when you already have your profile up and running. Keep your profile updated throughout your time at SMU. List any organizations you are a part of (like PRSSA), as well as internships or jobs you have.
- Meet your professors
- You will meet professors when you attend their class. It is important to meet them outside the classroom. They have wisdom that you should listen to as soon as possible. Most of their offices are in Umphrey Lee, so pop your head in their office sometime and get to know them!
- Introduce yourself to Mrs. Hewitt
- She is the CCPA administrator and will work her magic and help you create a logical class schedule.
- Check your inbox for an email from your Meadows advisor
- You will have a major advisor AND a Meadows advisor. Your major advisor will help you with planning your major classes. Your Meadows advisor will make sure your schedule includes your general education classes and SMU requirements.
- Last but not least on the new student checklist… Make friends!
- You will have a lot of the same people in your classes for the rest of your time at SMU, so introduce yourself and start networking.
This list is a great start to your time in CCPA, but explore all the opportunities for CCPA students here. You will get as much out of this major what you put into it, so start utilizing your resources!