Stuck at home? Why not make the most of your time. Try taking some online courses this summer! Lots of organizations are offering online certifications and now is the perfect time to take advantage of these. These certifications make a great addition to your LinkedIn and resumé. Here are some available resources to check out.
Muck Rack Academy
Muck Rack Academy offers two free online courses. Industry professionals teach these online certifications with the goal to help you stand out and grow your PR skills.
Here are the two free courses:
- Fundamentals of Media Relations Certification: Taught by PR coach Michael Smart, the course teaches you how to build positive relationships with journalists and stand out from the crowd.
- Fundamentals of Social Media Certification: Instructed by Sreenath Sreenivasan, visiting professor at Stony Brook University School of Journalism in New York, this certification compiles what you need to know about Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Each course is self-paced and takes about two hours to complete. At the end of the course, you will receive a certification.
To learn more about Muck Rack visit https://muckrack.com.
Microsoft & Adobe Certifications
Online certifications for the Microsoft Office and Adobe Suites are available to students through SMU OIT and Certiport (see link below).
Microsoft Certifications available:
- Excel Associate (Excel and Excel 2019)
- PowerPoint Associate (PowerPoint and PowerPoint 2019)
- Word Associate (Word and Word 2019)
Adobe Certifications available:
- Digital Video Using Adobe Premiere Pro CC (2018)
- Graphic Design & Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator (2018)
- Multiplatform Animations Using Adobe Animate CC (2018)
- Print & Digital Media Publication Using Adobe InDesign (2018)
- Visual Design Using Photoshop CC (2019)
- Web Authoring Using Adobe Dreamweaver (2018)
These online certifications provide an official badge of completion that can be added to LinkedIn and your resumé. Find more information at https://www.smu.edu/OIT/Training/Certification.
LinkedIn Learning offers free and paid courses that allow you to expand your skillset and knowledge in many different areas. These online certifications are a great way to expand your skills and display them on your LinkedIn. LinkedIn skills provide badges that can be added to the skills and endorsements section of your LinkedIn profile.
In short, online certifications are a wonderful resource available to students and professionals alike.